Chia seed, a member of mint family, means “Strength”, “An energy booster!”, “Excellent for weight loss.”
Hi… wait……..What is all this hype about chia seed?
Like sardine, salmon, flaxseeds and walnuts, chia seed is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acid.
Chia seeds need’nt be ground like flaxseed, for they don’t go rancid. It keeps you full for a longer period. Yes. Chia seeds are supposed to expand and provide a satiety feeling, for a longer period that works towards controlling the food craving. Chia seeds develop a gelatinous texture when soaked in water making it easy to incorporate them in cooked cereal or other dishes. This swelling action of the chia seeds also help the body to flush out unhealthy toxins from the body. The chia sprouts are really wonderful! These micro greens are cute, tiny, little beauties! They are also gluten free….
Chia seeds are also a good source of:
- fiber 10g / 2 tablespoons
- iron 2.19 mg/oz
- calcium 179mg/oz
- magnesium and zinc.
A sachet of 8 g chia seeds provides: 36calories, Protein-1.63g, fat-2.72g (sat fat-0.32g, Polyunsat fat-2.1g, omega 3- 1.5g, omega6 0.6g, Monosat fat- 0.3g), carbohydrates 0.3g, fiber -3g
The chia seeds are shelf-stable. You can buy them in large quantities that will help you save money!
It is very easy to incorporate chia seeds to your diet. Yes, it can be eaten raw or sprinkled over cereal, yogurt or salad.
- Chia seeds improves insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance.The soluble fiber in the seeds helps to stabilize the blood glucose levels. The gel formation phenomenon creates the barrier between carbohydrates and digestive enzymes that ultimately slower the conversion of carbohydrates into simple sugar! Deteriorating insulin sensitivity, is a precursor to pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes!
- Chia seeds are good sources of bone minerals: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and protein. Chia seeds are considered an excellent source of calcium for people with lactose intolerance!
- Chia seeds when combined with low GI food can aid in weight loss. With high fiber and protein content of chia seeds will naturally reduce the appetite and food intake.
- Chia seeds are a good source of zinc, that plays a vital role in the antioxidant defense system of the body. Zinc and iron together with copper, thiamin ( vitamin B1), niacin (vitamin B3) help promote healthy hair growth.
- Their high fiber content and swelling action, aids in absorbing the toxins and cleansing & soothing the colon
- Chia seeds are energizing! Athlete worldwide report, an increased strength and stamina and use it as an endurance enhancing food. They absorb more water and are great during exercise or exposure to heat.
- Chia seed is a Powerful whole food in a tiny seed form!
Chia mango pudding can be enjoyed as a breakfast snack and this tiny cute seeds tastes great when added to almond milk! 3-4 tblsp chia seeds with 240 ml almond milk gives you 3-4 servings.
Chia seeds Agua Fresca;
Water: 250 ml
Lemon juice: 2-3 tablespoon
Chia seeds ( any color): 2 tablespoons
Honey: 2 tsp
Mix all the ingredients, let the chia seeds swell, keep stirring now and then. Garnish with mint leaves. That’s it . The treat is ready to sip in just 10 mins!
A great, healthy, luscious, nutritional drink!
How about an omelette and chia sprouts sandwich for your breakfast?
Starting your day with a good breakfast is one of the best health decisions you can make. It is important to make your breakfast meal by including highly nutritious foods such as whole grain breads, cereals, fruits, low-fat dairy products. How about a Whole grain bread layered with an egg omellete, cheese, tomato and chia sprouts? Sounds great!
Good energy source, Osteoporosis prevention, Stabilizing the blood sugar and Promoting weight loss are considered the “Silver linings”of this tiny black & white chia seeds!
Too much chia seeds can lead to digestive distress. So, don’t go beyond an ounce, for they are high in fiber and too much could cause stomach upset. Maximum 2-3 tablespoons a day is sufficient enough, for a good health!
Balance your diet with wholegrains, beans/meat, nuts, vegetables & fruits and enjoy your workout minimum 30 mins, everyday. Strawberry, banana, yogurt -smoothie with added chia seeds is excellent after a good workout! Sounds great!